How can Neurofeedback training get your brain functioning at its optimal level?
At Dr. Diane Brain Health, our experienced Neurofeedback practitioners use cutting-edge technology to condition your brain and get you functioning at your optimal level.
Biofeedback is one type of Behavioral Medicine using information gained by monitoring skin temperature, blood pressure, heart rate and other body conditions to promote control over the normally involuntary nervous system through conditioning and relaxation. There are three types of biofeedback: thermal, muscular (EMG), and neurological (EEG). All employ some type of computer or monitoring device, along with electronic sensors to give information about what is going on in the body.
Neurofeedback, otherwise also known as EEG (Electroencephalogram) Biofeedback, is a technology based learning technique that uses a computer to give information to a person about his or her own brainwave pattern in the form of EEG activity, in order to train the person to modify his or her own brainwaves. When the brain is not functioning properly, evidence of this usually shows up in EEG activity. EEG Biofeedback assists a person to alter his or her own brainwave characteristics by challenging the brain to learn to reorganize and function better. The EEG Biofeedback technique is a process in which subtle brainwave information is amplified and shown back to the trainee in the form of a computer game. The object of the training is to re-educate the brain to make voluntary changes via computerized graphic displays and auditory signals that encourage a change in mental state and thus challenge the brain to function more effectively.
From the raw EEG, waves are amplified and then refined into smaller parts by the means of electronic filters. Currently there are seven unique frequencies, bandwidths and specific states or characteristics with each bandwidth.
- Delta 1-4Hz: This is seen in sleep, repairing of the brain, intuition, emotional radar, trauma and unconscious thought.
- Theta 4-8 Hz: This is present in sub-conscious thought, insight, meditative and creative.
- Alpha 8-12 Hz: This is the neutral, peaceful, relaxed state that is the gate that allows flow from restorative sleep to alertness.
- Low Beta (SMR) 12-15 Hz: This is seen in mental alertness, physical relaxation.
- Beta 15-21 Hz: This is being present, sustained attention, thinking, focusing, and conscious thought.
- High Beta 21-32 Hz: This is hyper-vigilance, hyper-alertness, extreme anxiety, and PTSD.
- Gamma 33-64 Hz: This is integrative thinking, creativity, learning, and the “ah.”
The EEG Biofeedback technique has been found to be effective in treating a number of conditions. EEG training is a gradual learning process with full programs taking 20 to 60 sessions. To see the various types of Neurofeedback training, read more below the form.
To consult with Dr. Diane about Neurofeedback, or receive Neurofeedback training, please fill out the form below or call us at 800.500.9971.