What Is Homeopathy?
Homeopathy is a form of alternative medicine that was developed by Samuel Hahnemann in 1796. This approach is based on the view that symptoms provide information about the body’s attempts to heal itself. Homeopathic treatment involves the use of remedies made from naturally occurring substances that would cause particular symptoms if taken in large amounts, but that stimulate the curing of those same symptoms if taken in minute amounts in a highly diluted form. Before prescribing treatment, a homeopath evaluates symptoms according to their placement on certain mental, emotional, and physical planes. He or she will listen and observe as you speak in general about the influences in your life, and will be interested in the minute details of your symptoms. How you present this information is as significant to your practitioner as what you say. Upon evaluating your symptoms, a homeopath will prescribe a remedy or combination of remedies to stimulate your body’s natural self-healing capacity.
Only three states – Arizona, Connecticut, and Nevada – have specific licensing boards for homeopathic physicians (DHts). Other states require homeopathic practitioners to have some form of certification or course work, though guide-lines and requirements vary widely. It is wise, therefore, to inquire about credentials before working with a homeopath.
How we Uniquely use Homeopathy in Our Office
Here in the Dr. Diane® Brain Health, we are centered around (but not limited to) treating symptoms of brain injury. Most often, these symptoms are a result of Post Concussion Syndrome (PCS), which occur after the patient has suffered a concussion. The symptoms of PCS that we treat with homeopathy include:
- Attention and concentration problems
- Sensory and metabolic disturbances
- altered sense of smell
- loss of the sense of taste
- changes involving the skin
- appetite and weight changes
- and bladder and bowel control problems
- Chronic pain / Post Traumatic Pain (PTP)
- Dizziness and imbalance
- Problems with reasoning, planning, and understanding
- planning problems
- organization problems
- initiation problems
- problems with processing information
- comprehension problems
- decision-making problems
- learning problems
- self-monitoring problems
- problems with creativity
- Memory problems
- registration problems
- storage problems
- retrieval problems
- Post Traumatic Seizures (PTS)
- Generalized Tonic-Clonic Seizures (GTCS)
- Simple Partial Seizures (SPS)
- Complex Partial Seizures (CPS)
- Sexual Problems
- Loss of desire
- Altered sensation
- Physiological problems
- Intensified sexual desire (hypersexuality)
- Vision and light sensitivity problems
- blurred vision
- cortical blindness
- double vision
- optic atrophy
- sympathetic ophthalmia
- tracking problems
- visual agnosia
- visual overstimulation
- visual field changes
Herbs make up the majority of healing substances used in homeopathy. However, homeopathy is also known to use animal, mineral, and synthetic substances as well.
The herbal remedy is mixed by means of a process called dynamisation, where the mixture is diluted with distilled water and vigorously shaken 10 times in a process called succussion. The vigorous shaking of the homepathic remedy will further increase it’s potency. Modern homeopaths retain that this process of succussion allows the remedy to properly potenize because the shaking allows the water to retain the vibrations of the original substance even after it has been diluted.
How Does Homeopathy Work?
The belief behind homeopathy lies in two conceived laws: The Law of Similars, and The Law of Infitesimals. These two laws center around the idea that “like cures like”, meaning that something that causes your symptoms will also cure your symptoms. The Law of Similars states that whatever is causing your symptoms will also cure them. For example, a common homeopathic remedy for the common cold and hayfever is onion. Onion causes the sinuses to drip and the eyes to tear, which are symptoms that mirror those of the common cold. Because onions in large doses cause these symptoms, according to the Law of Similars, onions (in a much smaller, diluted version) will cure these symptoms. This is where the Law of Infitesimals comes in. According to this logic, a diluted version of the onion will cure the common cold, and the more it is diluted, the more potent the treatment will become.
Homeopathic Medicines For Symptoms
- Lavender Oil
- Basil Oil
For Attention Problems
For Improved Memory:
- Ambra grisea
- Anacadium orientale
- Helleborus niger
- Lycopodium clavatum
- Nux moschata
- Phosphoricum acidum
Other Commonly Used Homeopathic Treatments
- Allium Cepa (Onion)
- As mentioned before, onion is a commonly used treatment in homeopathy. Onion naturally causes tearing of the eyes and running of the sinuses, which are common symptoms of the common cold.
- Chamomilla (Chamomille)
- Chamomile is commonly used as a sleep aid, but in homeopathy, is praised for it’s effects on colicky infants. It can help them sleep, and can alleviate pain from teething.
- Ignatia (St. Ignatius Bean)
- St. Ignatius Bean is used to treat grief, anxiety, and depression.
- Arnica (Mountain Daisy)
- This is the most widely used treatment in homeopathic medicine for sports injury. It is used to treat shock and trauma from a sports injury. It also helps to reduce pain and expedite the healing process.
- Magnesia phosphorica (phosphate of magnesia)
- This is a remedy for cramps, most successfully used in treating and alleviating the symptoms of menstrual cramps.
Try Homeopathy Today
Although homeopathy is considered an alternative medicine, it can work for you. Many claim that homeopathy has the same success rate as the placebo effect, but even the placebo effect itself has been shown to help in the healing process. The bottom line is that homeopathy, like an other form of alternative or complementary medicine, works for some people sometimes, and it can work for you too.
Dr. Diane totes the benefits of homeopathic remedies. Because of her multiple brain injuries, she is unable to take most medications, and so she has done extensive research on natural remedies, such as homeopathy. She herself is living proof that natural remedies do work, and drugs are not always needed to alleviate symptoms. Homeopathy is a natural treatment that does not involve the use of drugs.
Are you ready to try homeopathy to alleviate your symptoms naturally and start feeling better?
Homeopathic practitioner, David Sollars, is a member of Dr. Diane’s integrative team of brain health experts. To schedule an in person, Skype, or over-the-phone consult, call (800)500-9971 or submit a consult form.