Brain Healthy Almond Joy Cups
Halloween is only a few days away. Ghosts, pumpkins, and chocolate are abound. Traditional chocolate is loaded with sugar and artificial ingredients. It may taste good, but often leaves me confused and with brain fog hours. My Brain Healthy Almond Joy Bars offer all the taste with none of the refined sugar and brain fog.
Organic dark chocolate is beneficial to our health. Dark chocolate is loaded with antioxidants. Antioxidants have been said to help protect you from cancer and slow the signs of again. Dark chocolate is high in magnesium, potassium, and iron. These minerals help prevent against stroke, cardiovascular ailments, high blood pressure and heart disease. Dark chocolate has been shown to improve overall brain health.
I like to double the recipe and make a big batch. The Almond Joy Bars keep well in the freezer. For a quick treat, I can pull out one or two out and they quickly thaw. When company makes a surprise visit, I pull them all out and I have a delicious dessert all ready to go. Even my friends who do not follow my brain healthy diet say they taste delicious! A perfect Halloween treat.
- 1 1/2 Cups unsweeteend shredded coconut
- 3 Tbsp coconut oil
- 3/4 Cup coconut milk
- 3 1/2 Tbsp raw honey separate 2 Tbsp for coconut mix, and 1 1/2 Tbsp for chocolate
- 20 raw almonds
- 6 oz 100% cocoa unsweetened chocolate bar organic is best
- pinch sea salt
- In a glass bowl or the top of a double boiler, stir together unsweetened coconut, coconut oil, coconut milk, 2 Tbsp of raw honey, and pinch of sea salt. Place bowl on top of a pan of simmering hot water. Stir the mixture together until it incorporates into a smooth paste. Approximately 3 minutes.
- Drop dollops of mixture into cupcake wrappers, in a mini muffin tin. Press one almond onto the top of each coconut cup. Place in freezer for 5 minutes or until firm and cold.
- Melt chocolate and 1 1/2 Tbsp honey in a double boiler or pan of hot water. Remove frozen coconut cups from freezer and pour chocolate over the top of each. Place in refrigerator to firm.
- Almond Joy cups can keep in the refrigerator or in the freezer and defrost as desired.