Burgers with Chia Seeds
Summer is almost here, which means it’s time to get the grill fired up and barbecue with friends and family. So, how can you turn a classic burger into a brain boosting meal? One solution is to add chia seeds. Chia seeds are packed with omega 3’s which are crucial to a healthy brain. They also add to the protein you’ll get with the beef, as well as give you a great source of calcium, fiber, and manganese!
Another recommendation for a brain-healthier meal is to ditch the bun. Wheat breaks down to alcohol in our systems, and if you are newly recovering from a brain injury or are still feeling symptoms, wheat is one food that should be avoided to help you get better, faster. Instead, top your burger with avocado, tomato and lettuce!
- 1/2 oz chia seeds
- 4 oz organic beef broth
- 16 oz all natural 93% lean grown beef the leaner the better
- drizzle olive oil
- seasoning to taste
- avocado, lettuce, tomato optional
- In a small stainless steel bowl, mix chia seeds and beef broth. Stir well and let stand for 15 minutes until liquid has thickened.
- In a second stainless steel bowl, mix ground beef with chia seed mixture. Form 5 even patties and place in refrigerator on a sheet pan for at least 1 hours.
- Head non-stick saute pain coated with a drizzle of olive oil over medium-high heat. Add patties to pan once completely heated, and cook patties until medium rare, approximately 3 minutes on each side. (Cook further if you like your burgers more well done.
- Enjoy with your choice of toppings.
Recipe from Get Chia