Caramelized Onion, Spinach and Artichoke Dip – Dairy free
What I sometimes miss about healthy eating is all the delicious party foods. In my younger days there were many nights spent in the good company of friends and dinner was an enormous plate of cheesy spinach and artichoke dip, with nacho chips abound. Well I have found a replacement! A dairy-free, gluten-free, paleo, AIP, brain healthy replacement! And this spinach and artichoke recipe tastes delicious!
Artichokes are full of brain healthy vitamin K. Vitamin K is crucial in reducing damage to neurons in the brain. Artichokes are also known as a vasodilator. Vasodilators help to expand blood vessels which allow more oxygen to reach the brain. More oxygen in the brain helps to improve cognitive abilities! Artichokes are also full of vitamin C and are antioxidants.
Next up is spinach, and it too is full of brain healthy vitamins. Spinach has large amounts of folate and other B vitamins, L-tyrosine and fiber. It improves neurotransmitter function in the brain and helps to fight off inflammation. Inflammation leads to memory loss and poor mental focus. Inflammation is also a significant cause of many other chronic diseases.
Artichokes, spinach, brain healthy, and did I mention delicious? Well it’s worth repeating! The trick to this recipe being “creamy” is to blend the chicken stock with onions and summer squash in the blender. You’ll be surprised at the melt in your mouth results.
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 large onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup summer squash diced
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 6 oz jarred artichoke hearts drained and chopped
- 6 oz frozen spinach
- Add the oil to a saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and saute until brown and caramelized. Remove onions to a side dish.
- Add garlic to remaining oil, add more if necessary, and saute 1 - 2 minutes. Add summer squash to the pan. Saute until squash is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Place half the onions, and all of the garlic and squash mixture along with the chicken broth into a blender and and process until it forms a smooth creamy sauce.
- Mix together the sauce, spinach, and chopped artichokes. Pour into a baking dish.
- Bake at 350 for 20 minutes, or until browned.