In the New Year, who isn’t trying to shed a few pounds, tone some muscle, and practice a healthy lifestyle? This brain and body friendly recipe for Chicken Piccata works with your efforts to become a better, healthier you!
What Health Benefits can you Find in Chicken Piccata?
Protein that we obtain by eating low-cal, low-fat chicken breast is essential for the healthy function and growth of your brain and body. The baby portabella mushrooms added into this recipe are also low-fat, as well as cholesterol-free and a great source of essential vitamins and minerals that boost your health and immune system. Capers, which are pea-sized flower buds, add not only bold flavor, but also fiber, vitamin K, and iron necessary for oxygen transportation and cell growth. Even the coconut oil and olive oil in this recipe promote healthy brain function and protect our brains against dementia.
Give this easy peasy recipe a whirl, and don’t be surprised when the lemony sauce appeals even to the pickiest little eaters!
- 2 boneless chicken breasts, butterflied
- 1/3 cup almond flour
- 5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 6 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup capers
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley chopped
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 5 oz baby portabella mushrooms sliced
- Season chicken with salt and pepper. Pour almond flour in a bowl and dredge both sides in almond flour, shaking off excess.
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, melt 2 tablespoons of coconut oil with 3 tablespoons olive oil. When mixture starts to sizzle, add 2 pieces of chicken and cook for 3 minutes (or until browned), flip and cook other side or until browned. Remove and transfer to plate. Melt 2 more tablespoons coconut oil and add another 2 tablespoons olive oil. When this mixture starts to sizzle, add 2 more pieces of chicken and brown both sides as with the first batch. At the same time, add mushrooms and saute for 5 minutes (may need to add a tad more coconut and olive oil). Remove pan from heat, and add chicken to the plate.
- In the pan, add the lemon juice, stock, and capers. Return to stove and bring to a boil, scraping up brown bits from pan for extra flavor. Taste to check for seasoning, then return all the chicken to the pan and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove chicken to a serving dish. Add 2 remaining tablespoons of coconut oil to sauce and whisk vigorously. Pour sauce over chicken and garnish with parsley.
- Serve and enjoy!