“Fried” Artichoke Hearts
Imagine this, you’re thinking about a something new and healthy to make for dinner, but all you can think of are the tasty but very unhealthy options. We’ve all been there, craving some delicious fried food that we’ll regret later on. With this recipe, you can enjoy the taste of some yummy “fried” food without feeling bloated or tired afterwards. Our “fried” artichoke hearts can be enjoyed for lunch or dinner at anytime of year as an alternative to deep-fried artichokes.
Artichoke hearts have a high amount of free-radical fighting antioxidants, which help your whole system to function more efficiently. They are also a source of the ever-elusive Vitamin K, a nutrient that protects neurons and acts a vasodilator, bringing more oxygen to the brain for increased function. In addition, artichokes are an amazing source of inulin, which promotes the growth of healthy gut bacteria.
Give it a try, and let us know what you think!
- 10 Fresh Artichoke Hearts If using frozen, defrost and pat dry
- 4 tbsp Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 tbsp Bottled Lemon Juice Or juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 cup Almond, Coconut or Cassava Flour
- 1/4 tsp Sea Salt Plus additional for serving
- 1/4 tsp Cracked Black Pepper
- 1/8 tsp Cayenne Pepper Powder
- 1 Lemon Cut into wedges
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk the lemon juice, cayenne pepper, and 3 tbsp of the olive oil until blended.
- Add the artichoke hearts to the bowl and toss until well coated.
- Coat a rimmed baking sheet with the remaining olive oil.
- Place the flour, salt and pepper into a 1-quart resealable bag or a dish with a cover. Add the artichokes and shake to cover.
- Place the seasoned artichoke hearts on the baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes, turning the artichokes two to three times, or until they turn golden brown and crispy.
- Remove artichokes onto serving plates and sprinkle with more salt if desired. Serve with lemon wedges.
Looking for more brain friendly recipes? Check out our brain health recipes, or schedule a consultation with Dr. Diane® for personal help customizing your diet for your symptoms!