Quinoa, a gluten-free, low cholesterol seed, makes a great substitute for less healthy rice. This week, try our crunchy, lemony quinoa recipe as a side dish, full of protein and healthy grains!
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water
- sea salt to taste
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 1/4 red onion chopped
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 bunch fresh parsley chopped
- Toast the pine nuts briefly in a dry skillet over medium heat. This will take about 5 minutes, and stir constantly as they will burn easily. Set aside to cool.
- In a saucepan, combine the quinoa, water and salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium and cook until quinoa is tender and water has been absorbed, about 10 minutes. Cool slightly, then fluff with a fork.
- Transfer the quinoa to a serving bowl and stir in the pine nuts, lemon juice, celery, onion, cayenne pepper, cumin and parsley. Adjust salt and pepper if needed before serving.