Lentil Salad with Greek Flavors
This week, experiment with the following recipe, courtesy of “Tufts Health and Nutrition Letter: The Heart-Brain Diet 2013“. It’s a no-brainer!
- 1 cup dried green or brown lentils picked over and rinsed
- 1 small clove of garlic crushed and peeled
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes halved or quartered
- 1 cup cucumbers diced
- 1 cup scallions chopped
- 1 cup feta cheese crumbled
- 2 tbsp each of fresh dill, mint, and chives, chopped (or 6 Tbs of any of these herbs)
- Place lentils in large saucepan. Cover with water and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, partially covered, until lentils are tender but not mushy, 18-22 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place garlic on cutting board and smash with the side of a chef’s knife. Sprinkle with salt. Mash into paste with chef’s knife. Transfer to large bowl. Whisk in lemon juice, oil and pepper.
- When lentils are ready, drain and place in bowl with lemon dressing. Toss to coat. Let cool to room temperature.
- Add tomatoes, cucumber, scallions, feta, and herbs to lentils; toss to mix. Serve at room temperature.