Steamed Halibut With Kale and Walnuts
Are you a spinach-lover? Well maybe it’s time to switch things up and throw kale into the mix. For some people this leafy green can be an acquired taste, but when paired with the right foods, kale is surprisingly tasty! Kale contains just as many vitamins and minerals as spinach, and in most cases actually more than spinach. It’s a great source of iron for blood health, fiber, vitamin A for skin, vitamin B6 for brain function, vitamin C and calcium!
This week’s recipe pairs kale with halibut, a lean white fish bursting with health benefits. Halibut is rich in magnesium, potassium, vitamin B12, niacin, and vitamin B6. Halibut is also a great source of omega-3 fatty acids which promote healthy brain function, and fight inflammation. The dish is topped with chopped walnuts, which also contains anti-inflammatory properties, plus antioxidant benefits. This week, give this halibut, kale, and walnut combo a try!
- 4 6 oz skinless halibut fillets
- 2 tbsp extra vigin olive oil
- kosher salt
- black pepper
- 3 unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 large garlic cloves minced
- 1 1/2 lbs kale (about 8 cups) tough stems trimmed
- Heat oven to 400º F. Coat both sides of the fish with 1 tablespoon of the oil. Place in a single layer in a roasting pan.
- Season with ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Place the lemon slices on top and roast until the fish is opaque throughout, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter over medium heat.
- Add the walnuts. Stir occasionally until lightly browned, 3 minutes. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Add the garlic and remaining 2 tablespoons oil and 1 tablespoon butter to the skillet. Cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the kale, ½ cup water, and ½ teaspoon salt and toss. Cook, covered, tossing occasionally, until wilted, 5 minutes. Stir in the walnuts. Serve with the fish.
Looking for more brain friendly recipes? Check out our brain health recipes, or schedule a consultation with Dr. Diane® for personal help customizing your diet for your symptoms!