Sweet Potato and Lentil Soup
This Sweet Potato and Lentil Soup recipe is full of the B vitamin folate, known to boost brain power. This Sweet Potato and Lentil Soup recipe is full of the B vitamin folate, known to boost brain power. Lentils will also lower amino acid levels. High levels of Amino Acids can weaken brain function. Try this slightly spicy, wallet-friendly, versatile soup! This recipe also contains turmeric, a great anti-inflammatory.
- 5 cups chicken stock or 5 cups water
- 1 cup red lentils
- 3 medium onions
- 750 grams sweet potatoes
- 5 cloves garlic
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground tumeric
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 1/2 cup coriander chopped, or less to taste
- 1 lemon
- salt and pepper to taste
- Peel and roughly chop the onions and sweet potatoes - can be chunky.
- Combine with the stock or water, lentils, garlic, cumin, cayenne and turmeric in a pot.
- Cover and bring to the boil. Simmer until the potatoes and lentils are cooked - about 20-30 minutes.
- Puree the soup, adding in the coriander and the juice of the lemon. Add salt and pepper to taste (lots of pepper for me).