Sweet Potato Pancakes/Waffles
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup mashed cooked sweet potato about 1 medium/large sweet potato
- 1 cup almond milk
- 2 tsp honey or all natural maple syrup
- 2 tsp canola oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 bananas sliced (or 1 cup blueberries)
- 2 tbsp chopped almonds or pecans
- 1/4 cup nonfat plain or vanilla yogurt
- Whisk flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon in a large bowl until blended, whisk egg, sweet potato, milk, honey, oil, and vanilla in medium bowl until smooth. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients; mix with rubber spatula until blended.
- To make pancakes: Coat large nonstick skillet or griddle with cooking spray; heat over medium heat. Spoon about 1/4 cup batter for each pancake into skillet; cook until bottoms have browned and small bubbles form on top, about 3 minutes. Flip and cook until pancakes are browned and cooked through, about 2 minutes. (Adjust heat as necessary for even browning)
- To make waffles: Coat waffle iron with cooking spray; heat iron. Spoon in enough batter to cover 3/4 of the surface of each section, close iron and cook until waffles are crisp and golden brown, 4 to 5 minutes
- To serve, top pancakes or waffles with bananas (or blueberries), a sprinkling of nuts, and all-natural maple syrup.
- Tip: To cook sweet potatoes in the microwave, scrub them and pat dry. Prick in several places with a fork. Wrap individually in paper towels. Microwave on High, 5-8 minutes for one, 10 to 12 minutes for two, or 15-20 minutes for four. (If microwave does not have a turntable, turn sweet potatoes over midway through cooking). Let stand 5 minutes. Make a slit in each potato and scoop out the flesh.