Sleep Problems: Your Brain Can’t Recover if You Don’t Give it A Rest!
My book Coping with Concussion and Mild Traumatic Brain Injury contains an elaborate chapter on sleep problems, specifically relating to post concussion syndrome (PCS). Chapter 9 on sleep problems discusses all aspects of sleep, such as:
- The importance of sleep
- The stages of sleep necessary for restorative sleep
- Why sleep problems can occur after a concussion
- The different types of sleep disturbances
- Diagnosing and assessing sleep disturbances
- Conventional, alternative, and complementary treatment options, as well as practical suggestions
Below are three practical suggestions to achieving restorative sleep from Coping with Concussion:
- Wake up at the same time every morning, while adjusting bedtime according with how one feels in the morning
- Avoid sleeping pills, if possible
- Avoid TV and cell use before bedtime
Get more practical suggestions, treatment options, and other sleep information here.