Neurofeedback clinicians and clients prefer Neuroband™, an innovative headband used in neurofeedback. Developed by Dr. Diane® for ease, efficiency, comfort and customization – without the use of conductive paste or gel, Neuroband™ delivers results and greatly reduces set-up and clean-up time.
With Neuroband™ electrodes can be precisely positioned and repositioned quickly and effortlessly. Electrodes are placed in high-quality Chamois/felt pockets and positioned on the Neuroband™. Simply soak the Chamois with Electro Mist (or recommended saline solution) and “put the pocket where the paste would be”.
- Additional cross straps allow for multi-channel placement and can be configured for up to 19 channel training
- Compatible with all major manufacturers, including active electrodes
- Low impedance (under 4) for optimum results!
Fast and Flexible
Neuroband™ is fully adjustable for one-size-fits-all design. There is no need to purchase small, medium and large sizes to fit your client base, as you must with neurofeedback caps, such as Electro-Cap. No prepping needed, and no cleaning paste from scalp or removing sticky paste from electrodes. It takes about 5 minutes to set-up and virtually seconds to remove without any cleanup! Neuroband™ is lightweight and made of substantially non-stretchable, durable, washable and/or dry cleanable material.
“We saved in time the cost of the Neuroband™ the very first day we used it!”
Key Features of the Neuroband™
- Ease of use: no paste, no mess, no prep needed, no need for alcohol clean up
- Comfortable to those with skin or head sensitivities
- One size fits all (fully adjustable)
- Lightweight strapping with Velcro and highest quality Chamois felt lead pockets
- Clean – fully re-usable: Easy to wash. No sticky paste to clean out of electrodes
- Saline solution rather than conductive paste or gel
- Applied in five minutes or less and removed in seconds
- Can be configured for up to 19 channel training
- Cost savings – When working with neurofeedback caps, such as Electro-Cap, Practitioners usually purchase 2 or more sets of all sizes (i.e., small, medium, large, extra-large) to fit their clients, and because of the time it takes to wash and dry between appointments. Neuroband™ reduces costs because it is one size fits all eliminating the need to purchase multiple caps/sizes.
Why use Neuroband™?
Traditionally, Neurofeedback, EEG and QEEG are done with skin prepping gel, and a conductive paste. Removal often entails using alcohol and other products. For individuals with sensitivity to touch or pressure, such as someone who has had a brain injury or brain surgery, this can often be extremely uncomfortable. The Electro-Cap, used for EEG or QEEG, is a stretchy cap that is very confining to individuals dealing with autism, and the pressure may cause pain to people with fibromyalgia, brain surgery, chronic pain and brain injury.
Clinical trials using the Neuroband™ EEG version are currently being done at the EEG and Seizure Unit of Brigham Women’s Hospital, Boston MA.
Personal training and consulting services are available for the professional and home user of Neurofeedback equipment. For more information or to schedule training services, please submit a contact form or call us at: 800-500-9971
How does Neuroband™ Work?
Once a neurofeedback protocol is determined, such as 1-4 channel training, the specific location of the electrodes are found on the patient’s head. The Chamois pockets containing the electrodes are saturated with saline solution or Electro Mist. The pockets are placed either on the inside of the headband or on one of 3 cross-straps. These cross-straps can be placed in either a vertical or horizontal position to cover the entire head.
Diane finds Electro Mist Solution to be the most reliable. You can obtain this product from our online store.
- 1-2 channel training- most commonly used
- 2-4 channel training- can be easily used with Zscore training
- Mini-Q and QEEG -19 leads- Data collection and Zscore training
- 19 QEEG with Electro-Cap ribbon- dim pin
- 19 LENS with Electro-Cap ribbon and 19 individual pins
- EEG- 48 leads – Used for hospital sleep studies
- Includes proprietary, custom Electro-Cap ribbon and electrodes when purchased as a complete system, EEGCap, 19 Channel NeuroCap, and 19 Channel LensCap.
History and Theory of Neuroband™
The clinical use of Neurofeedback was first done by Dr. Barry Sterman for the treatment of epilepsy. The placement of electrodes was done by preparing the scalp with a mild abrasive followed by conductive paste. Removal of the conductive paste is done with small amounts of rubbing alcohol. Years later, BrainMaster Technology developed the Flextrode, which used Velcro straps and plastic rings that held the electrodes in specific locations. Instead of conductive paste, the means of conduction was cotton gauze around the electrodes that were soaked in a saline solution. This product, and a similar product (Flexcap) developed by Dr. Eduardo Rocatti, M.D., are very effective, however both have fixed locations that use plastic rings to hold the electrodes.
Dr. Diane® found that the majority of her patients who have some form of neurological, chronic illness, pain or trauma, have a resulting skin, scalp sensitivity. This was especially true for her patients with fibromyalgia. In addition, all of her patients complained about the use of the conductive paste. Dr. Diane® tried both the Flextrode and Flexcap only to have her patients complain about the hard plastic. Also, both of these products were limited to location of electrode placement.
Thus, she developed the Neuroband™ which uses the concept of all the methods; ease of placement as with the conductive paste, comfort of the Velcro band and use of saline solution. After two and a half years of trial and error with various products and various types of Velcro, felt and Chamois, Dr. Diane® discovered that by using a belting material along with specific types of Velcro and Chamois she was able to make a product that would stand up to repeated use, have excellent impedance for exceptional conductivity, and was comfortable enough to allow the patient to be able to fall sound asleep during alpha/theta training.
When using the Neuroband™ for collective data as used in EEG, Mini-Q, or QEEG, there is a need for a minimum of 16 to 48 leads. The QEEG and medical version allow up to 48 active electrodes to be placed on the scalp at the same time. Recently, many of the manufacturers have gone from an open pin board to a plug-in device, which uses a ribbon type active electrode with 19-24 pin devices into the various QEEG recording devices. Traditionally, the use of an Electro-Cap would be used. However, again the pressure of such a cap on an individual with chronic pain or brain injury can often be intolerable. The manufacturers of the Electro-Cap have developed a customized ribbon with 19 electrodes that will fit the QEEG version. The QEEG version can now be used on any manufactured type as an alternative to the traditional Electro-Cap.