When do you have time for yourself? The answer is…Never. After all, if you are taking care of everyone else, there likely isn’t much time left for you! A demanding job on its own can be stressful. Most caregivers report feeling anxious, tired, stressed, overwhelmed, and helpless along with having little or no sleep. Resulting in a vicious cycle of conditions including depression, anxiety, insomnia, chronic pain from injury or inflammation, and/or chronic illness. And despite experiencing symptoms, you still need get up every morning to take care of everyone else. Being a parent today is drastically different than any generation before. We live in anxious times, with ever-changing technology and social outlets that provide constant opportunities to comparison ourselves to others and to measure our children’s achievements. Being overly protective is the norm. We are bombarded by news stories of school shootings, violence, and disease. Bullying seems to be more prevalent. We teach about stranger danger, drug abuse and Internet safety at younger and younger ages. Each day we learn about new threats that pose danger to the health of our families. There is BPA in plastic, genetically-modified foods, pesticides, vaccination controversy, concussions, childhood obesity, and more…. Of course we feel anxious! When you feel totally depleted, there is a saying, “You can’t pour from an empty cup” Taking care of everyone else can take its toll on you and lead to what is termed “Caregiver Fatigue.” If the symptoms are not addressed, you eventfully burnout resulting in psychological and/or emotional symptoms of heart attack, chronic fatigue, immune problems, chronic pain and, in some situations, even cancer. On the emotional side, chronic depression can lead to substance abuse and/or emotional breakdowns which result in hospitalization. To avoid this, it is important to take care of you! But you may ask, “When and How?” While I would argue that making time for yourself to decompress through methods including yoga, meditation, and therapy are essential to your well-being, I understand the reality that most caregivers lack the time and/or energy to make this happen. Therefore, you struggle to find “ME” time, but are in desperate need of relief for your immune system and from daily anxiety, depression, insomnia, and symptoms of pain.
Lifestyle Change for Caregiver Fatigue
When you are feeling overwhelmed, you want quick relief, but because you don’t have the time and/or energy you consume the following:
- More sugar and comfort food with lots of sugar
- Drugs or medication
- Coffee/Caffeinated beverages
All of these may produce momentary comfort or relief, but the long-term effect only compounds the physiologic effects of stress itself. This becomes a vicious cycle, causing your stress response to be only more heightened, resulting in greater sleep problems and an increase in drug and alcohol abuse. Sugar plays a major role in increasing your stress response, especially if you have had some form of brain injury such as a concussion, stroke, or brain surgery. Most parents and caregivers are exhausted from the responsibilities that go along with raising a family and caring for loved ones. There is shopping, laundry, chauffeuring, cooking, errands, appointments, coaching, and hours of working. This schedule leads to little sleep, and lots of coffee. Too much coffee can cause changes in blood pressure and stress hormones levels, similar to those produced in chronic stress.
Lifestyle Changes for Relief of Caregiver Fatigue
In the Serenity Prayer, it says to have the courage to know what you can change and what you cannot and to know the difference. There are some things about yourself that you cannot change, like being too reactive or too sensitive. So it is important to know that while you may not be able to change how you initially react to a situation, you can change how you respond to it. Due to lack or time and/or energy most caregivers search for ways to treat anxiety, stress and insomnia at home. Here are some suggestions for ways you can change your lifestyle to cope with your daily demands:
- Shared Responsibilities – Sit down and look at your responsibilities and make a list of things you absolutely need, not WANT but, NEED to do, and what responsibilities you can share with someone else.
- Online Support Group
- Online Teletherapy Dr. Diane® provides both virtual consults and support.
- Immune Support- Elderberry Syrup
- Wearable Wellness Neuortechnology.
“Wearable Wellness Neurotechnology”
What is Wearable Wellness Neurotechnology? It is neuroscience technology products that you can wear to relieve your symptoms without changing your lifestyle. These products provide you with the needed relief from depression, anxiety, insomnia and pain. And perhaps most importantly, these therapeutic therapies are not time-consuming and are 100% Drug-Free with NO side-effects! Some of the products are FDA cleared medical devices and might be covered under your health insurance.
Types of Wearable Wellness Neurotechnology
- Cranial Electrical Stimulation ( CES)
- Restorative Health Cushion
- Restorative Health Blanket
Description of Wearable Wellness Neurotechnology
CES stands for Cranial Electrotherapy Stimulation. It is the process of using low power electrical current to stimulate the brain to restore and re-balance the various neurohormones. This has been shown to give especially great results for anxiety and insomnia. However, CES has been a relatively unknown and underused technology due to the fundamental Western bias in favor of pharmaceuticals. How does it work? CES devices are used by attaching leads to the ears to pass the current through the head. The current is very low and most users report feeling nothing, or a slight tingling. Like aspirin and many other agents that affect the brain, the exact physiological mechanism of CES is unknown. Researchers believe that CES works by indirectly stimulating tissue in the brain’s hypothalamic area. This causes the brain to manufacture various neurohormones, restoring its state to pre-stress homeostasis and encouraging a state of calm in the whole body. CES devices are discreet and portable A CES device is about the size of a smart phone. It can fit in the palm of your hand. You can put this device in your pocket and wear it from 30 mins to all day producing relief from anxiety, depression, insomnia and pain without any side effects. You can wear it while you work, while you drive, while you do laundry. Bear with my humor, the only place you can’t wear it is in the bathtub! It runs on AA batteries. Relief gained from CES Device Depending on the level of symptoms, most people initially feel some relief immediately or in the same day. However, the results are often gradual and are noticed from within a couple of days to a week. How often should CES be used? Use it until the symptoms disappear. Many symptoms will begin to fade as soon as 10 minutes or up to three days of treatment (using1 hour/day). Most symptoms will be alleviated between 10-15 days of treatment (using 1 hour/day). Some addiction treatment clinics use it on patients 24 hours/day, and some patients want to self-treat for many hours at a stretch. Use CES as much or as frequently as you like. CES is not addictive, and when the symptoms subside, you can just stop using the CES device. You may be looking for a quick fix to immediately take away your pain or help you to sleep. And while over the counter medications (OTC) and prescription drugs may produce immediate relief, there are often many side-effects that go along with the use of medications. With the CES there are no medicine type side effects. Are there any contraindications or side effects?
- Do not use if you have a cardiac pacemaker. The electrical signals may cause the pacer to malfunction, leading to serious injury or death.
- Do not use operating hazardous machinery.
- Do not place ear clips or electrodes over skin lesions, new scars, cuts, eruptions or sunburn.
- All persons who have the following conditions need to use the CES under the supervision of a qualified health care provider suffer from any mental disorder or psychiatric illness are currently using any drugs (prescription or recreational) are under the influence of alcohol have serious head injuries, epilepsy, brain tumors, or strokes.
For more than 38 years, CES devices have been used in hospitals and clinics, and thousands have been in use by patients in their homes. No major side effect has been noted or called in to physicians or the FDA from CES devices. Less than three percent of CES users report a slight headache. This is usually alleviated by simply turning down the current. If the headache recurs during ordinary use, cease using the unit and consult with your healthcare provider. In 1976 the U.S. National Research Council studied CES at FDA’s request. They determined that no significant risk could be involved in putting such small amounts of current through the head, even over time. As with the use of any medical device, the physician/licensed practitioner should be informed of any medication or neurotransmitter blockers the patient is taking as well as the employment of cardiac pacemakers or other electronic devices as mentioned above. CES is not a substitute for professional counseling, meditation, or constructive relationships. Used in conjunction with those efforts, CES assists you in attaining a balanced emotional state. Do I need a prescription to get a CES Machine? Yes, a prescription consult is included with your kit. Please place your order and a representative from Dr. Diane® will call you.
It is a portable and convenient way to reduce stress, balance emotions and increase performance. Used just a few minutes a day, this simple-to-use technology helps you transform feelings of anger, anxiety or frustration into more peace, ease and clarity to be at your best. The emWave2® will teach you to change your physiology through breathing and focusing on positive emotions. The emWave2® collects pulse data through a pulse sensor and translates the information from your heart rhythms into breathing guidelines to help you achieve syncopation between the heart, brain, and autonomic nervous system. This state of syncopation is called coherence and is a foundation for well-being and a healthy response to stress. FEATURES OF EMWAVE2®
- Use emWave2® on the go as a portable training device and store your sessions for later review
- Run a session while at your computer and watch your coherence through real–time charts
- Store all session information on your computer for future comparison and review
- Four challenge levels including a challenging Advanced User mode
- Adjustable brightness of the LED displays and audio feedback
- Make sessions entertaining with the coherence building tools
Restorative Health Blanket and Cushion
The Restorative (Solaris) Health Blanket and Cushion were developed to rebalance and restore harmony to the body’s natural energy flow providing amazing health benefits by working as both an “energy shield” and as an “energy mirror”. Reflecting the body’s own “energetic portrait” provides favorable conditions for healing and enhancing overall well-being for ALL ages. Dr. Wilhelm Reich’s work on Orgone energy inspired the development of the Restorative Health Blanket. The theory of Orgone energy is Reich’s reference to the subtle body energy that is part of our manifold being which is negatively affected by both internal and external factors. Using this concept, the blanket’s material acts like an electro-magnetic mirror, reflecting the body’s energy portrait, thus improving the body’s self-corrective ability. Restorative Health Blanket and Cushion Uses:
- Strengthens the immune system and increases resistance to seasonal allergies, cold, flu with repeated use.
- Improves recovery period from traumas, injuries, surgery, and common illnesses.
- Aids in redistributing the body’s energy, which promotes faster healing and encourages blood flow in areas of poor circulation
- Increases brain wave activity thereby enhancing one’s mood and outlook
- Protects from harmful electromagnetic fields
- Reflects the problem areas in the body’s “energy portrait” back on itself, thereby acting as a homeopathic stimulus for immune and healing responses
- Safe to use, with no complications, or side effects
- Can be used as a stand-alone treatment or combined with other therapies, fitness, or wellness programs
- Practical and portable—can be used in the home or office, fitness center, or on the road.
Who Benefits From The Restorative Blanket and Cushion? Anyone can benefit from the Restorative Health Blanket and/or cushion. The Restorative Health Blanket protects against dangers and hazards of the environment and is especially valuable for newborns and the elderly, however, everyone can benefit from protection and reflection, more energy, and balancing energy flow. The blanket is used for stress relief, sore muscles, pain relief, sleep disorders, to increase performance, to fight against colds and viruses, to reduce the symptoms of many diseases, to increase blood circulation and relax muscles, as an anti-aging treatment, or just to feel calm, warm and toasty. Can Be Used By:
- Children, who are particularly sensitive to dangers and hazards of our environment
- Elderly, who need to increase and preserves their energy resources
- Athletes, to maximize their performance and speed up their recovery from sports injuries and traumas
- Executives, anyone else with a stressful job, to decrease stress and burn-out.
… and anyone seeking relief from psycho-emotional tension and fatigue; stress and anxiety, constant worry; insomnia; physical, mental, and emotional exhaustion; stiff muscles, chronic muscle pain, and muscular spasms; high blood pressure; hyperactivity; low energy; and pre- and post-surgery. How To Use The Restorative Health Blanket or Cushion
- Recommended use for the Restorative Health Blanket is one hour before going to bed, or at bedtime. The duration of a session ranges from 15 to 60 minutes, but the optimal duration is generally 30-40 minutes, one to three times per day, based upon individual needs and reactions to use.
- Use the Restorative Health Blanket in a quiet environment, free from outside distractions. Relaxation music, aromatherapy, essential oils, and beeswax candles can be used for deeper relaxation and additional benefits while using the blanket or cushion.
- The Restorative Health Blanket and/or Cushion may bring about a feeling of internal warmth and a slight pricking sensation, which is safe and does not bring any discomfort. Sleepiness and extreme relaxation typically result from using Restorative Health Blanket. Experiencing a sense of inner peace and calm, that feels something like a meditation, is also a commonly reported.
- It is best to be free from wearing any clothing or undergarments containing synthetic material. Any metallic jewelry and/or watch should be removed. Prior to each session, touch a grounded metal object in order to eliminate static electricity.
- The Restorative Cushion is perfect for anyone who is seated most of the day, or while driving and great for anyone in a wheelchair. It helps with pain relief and fatigue. For wheelchair users who are incontinent, all you need to do is put a trash bag over the cushion to protect it.
Get Help Today
If you are a Caregiver and need help, Dr. Diane® Brain Health utilizes state of the art and cutting edge Wearable Wellness Neurotechnology and also has the Solutions and Resources to get you feeling your best. The Dr. Diane® integrative team of Brain Health Experts is trained in conventional, complementary, and alternative specialties. Our 5 Prong Approach will provide you a customized treatment program, because Dr. Diane® sees each person as a unique individual and knows that one method does not fit everyone. If YOU SUFFER FROM CAREGIVER FATIGUE OR BURNOUT OR YOUR SYMPTOMS OF ANXIETY, DEPRESSION, AND/OR SLEEPING PROBLEMS are keeping you from living a full life, call our office at 800.500.9971, or fill out our form to schedule an in-person, phone, or Skype consultation and start regaining your life! There is a Way!® DIANE ROBERTS STOLER, ED.D. With over 35 years of experience as a Neuropsychologist, Board Certified Health Psychologist, Board Certified Sports Psychologist, and brain injury survivor Dr. Diane® can help you! SCHEDULE A CONSULT